Friday, July 17, 2009

Today, I hiked.

I hiked to Sunset Peak this morning.
I know, it's called Sunset Peak and you would think going in the evening to see the sunset would be the point. Well, I didn't care, I just wanted to clear my head and breathe some fresh, although dry (I've become accustomed to the humidity in San Antonio and I like it),
but fresh nonetheless.



The first lake and the halfway point of the hike.
(Of course I HAD to take the iPod)


This is my favorite picture from the hike.
Not bad for an amateur photographer.


I was grateful for my hiking boots. There were some points on the
trail where you were required to be part mountain goat.
I am a capricorn, but it doesn't help when hiking.


An unobstructed view from the summit. If you look really
closely you can see Mickey Mouse Rock.


A partial view from the summit.
(Note the lollipop in my mouth. That's my secret for keeping
my mouth moist. It comes in handy in this dry air.)


This was the best I could do at the summit with no one else to
hold the camera. Thank goodness for a timer.
Ahhhh, completion is one of my favorite feelings. Accomplishment is nice, but completion brings much more satisfaction for me. This hike/summit was worth every out of breath step I took (the altitude was killing me, 10,600), every stumble (I'm klutzy) and every swig of warm gatorade (it's a good thing I like it). Would I do it again? Most likely, but there are so many other trails waiting to be explored I'll take my time before I do.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful and inspirational!

orangemily said...

Beautiful pictures!