Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hapyp Birthday to you!!

O turned 4. She told me she was turning 10. In fact, only 3 days after her birthday, she told me she was 4 1/2 and she is turning 10 on Halloween. For some reason she has become obsessed with being 10. It must mean to her that she gets some amazing super powers that allow her to stay up late and do all sorts of things without adult supervision. Hum....

For her birthday party we had 7 girls from her ballet class over to celebrate. They were asked to dress in their ballet outfits. Parties are always more fun when you get to dress up, right? We were invaded with pink leotards and tutus. LT was a bit overwhelmed with all of the pink.

The night before we decorated with a birthday banner and put wrapped packages on the table. In the morning she grinned from ear to ear when she saw them. It was a fun moment as a parent to see her so happy.

When we were in Disneyworld in March, we bought 8 little princesses and gave them to her for her birthday. They are nice and pretty little dolls with little hair bows and little shoes and little EVERYTHING. The first thing O did when she got them out of the package was strip them. They are not meant to be stripped and since their adornments are so little, they will remain unadorned for the rest of their little doll lives.

(She LOVES her princesses and even lined them up in her bed to sleep with her.)

I thought it was funny that the only princess O didn't recognize was Pocahontas. She's been obsessed with that show for a few months. In fact, she has told people, on several occasions, she is married to Jon Smith.

(Funny tangent - One sunday O was asked a question in Primary and she retold the gruesome story of Kocoum being shot, she even acted out a little of it. Out of all of the great scenes in the movie, the death scene just happens to be the one she likes to share.)

In the afternoon our party guests arrived. I can't believe we had 8 little girls running around our house for 2 1/2 hours. O was in HEAVEN having so many friends here. They played "Pin the tiara on the princess", ate cake and ice cream. The singing of the happy birthday song was pretty funny. There was very little enthusiasm during the song and the blowing of the candles. I chuckled about it.

I bought a princess party package from Dollar Tree and there was one itty bitty problem. The happy birthday banner was spelled "Hapyp Birthday". I didn't even notice it until sunday morning and the banner had been up since friday night.

I still can't believe she is already 4. I feel like she's been with us for so much longer and yet, the day I met her at the hospital was only yesterday. I still remember how excited, frightened and vulnerable I felt. I remember her birth mother was crying and I was ever so aware of how hard it must have been for her. I was cautious and clueless. What parent ever knows what they are getting into?

We've had 4 years to love her and enjoy her and I look forward to 100 + more.

2 comments:

orangemily said...

What a wonderful Birthday! So cute!

Jadi said...

You did a great job with the birthday party. The girls were all in heaven.
It cracks me up that none of us noticed the banner and I love how Olivia stripped down the princess dolls. :)