Friday, September 23, 2011

RAIN!!!

Hooray for rain! Folks, there is something you need to know about the Hills, and that is we LOVE rain.

Recently, we've had some soggy weeks here in MD and it wasn't until today that we had the "perfect rainstorm". What makes the "perfect rainstorm", you may ask? Well, you need a LOT of rain, no lightening, no wind and a nice warm temperature. All of the elements combined to make the "perfect rainstorm". We get one of two of these a year and when we can, we take advantage of them.

I picked O up from school and I had to ford a stream and wade through a small lake in the parking lot just to reach the door. On the drive home my wipers were on the "super fast" speed and I still had a tough time seeing out of the window. We were both giddy with excitement. We couldn't wait to get home because I told O it was the "perfect rainstorm".

We splashed, ran in the gutters, floated grass and leaves and sticks in the water. O brought out her tricycle and tried to make huge waves with her wheels. After 30 minutes we were soggy and happy.
It may not look very deep, but it was. By the time I got my camera out, the rain had died down.


Very happy girl


Weeeeee!!

So serious


Can you see her ring? So fun.

Going for a big splash.

Getting ready to jump.

The landing, you can see some of the splash. I was a bit slow in catching this one.

Happy rain girls


I felt so rejuvenated afterwards. There's just a special energy that comes with the "perfect rainstorm". There was this one in TX that I will never forget. I had arrived home from work and had about 20 minutes before it was time to pick up O from the babysitter. The rain had started falling on my drive home and by the time I got there it was a heavy downpour. I stood barefoot in my backyard and let it rain down on me. All of the worries and weight that I felt washed away. While roads were being washed out, cars were being swept away, businesses were being closed, I stood there as if I was in my shower. Lost to time. The warm TX rain pouring over my head, running down my spine, spilling over my waistband, and water flowing over my ankles was a birth of some sort. I'll never forget it. It's one of those moments in life you hope everyone gets to experience because it is so profound.

1 comment:

Jadi said...

I love rainstorms too. I'll have to try standing in the pouring rain sometime. :)