Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A simple case of Murphy's Law

I have many good intentions of "catching up" and posting some of the significant events of 2008. This post is one attempt to do so.

In August LT and I were in AZ for some court proceedings for our pending adoption. They didn't finish while we were there so we left our car and flew home. The following week I flew back to attend the last 90 minutes of court and then started the long drive back to TX. I was actually excited to have a road trip all to myself. I was looking forward to finally getting a good nights sleep. O still doesn't sleep through the night so I'm going on 2 plus years of sleep deprivation. Anyway, the following is an excerpt of an account of my experience on the way home.

I don't know why I have the luck with hotels I do.

Many of you may recall what I wrote about my hotel experience when I went to visit LT in FL 3 years ago. I had booked the reservation online with a hotel that seemed reputable. Once I arrived, l found it looked like the ones you see on the TV show COPS. You know, the one where they bust down the doors and break up some illegal activity. It was late when I arrived there and I didn't know where else to go. I hardly slept that night. The room next to me had visitors coming and going all night long. I imagined it was a drug spot or a prostitute ring.

With those images in your mind, join me as I describe the first hotel I tried on my way home from AZ. I was somewhere between "Who Knows Where" NM and "Last Chance For Cell Phone Reception" AZ when I knew I needed to stop for the night. I pulled over at the first town that had three exits, a huge step up from the other one-exit-towns I'd passed that only sported a truck stop and a restaurant. I was thinking a three-exit-town had to mean there was hope for a decent hotel. I pulled over at the second exit and had a choice of three hotels. I picked one and when entered the creepy reception room I should have know right then and there it was a bad choice. BUT I was SO TIRED from my early flight, time in court and long drive, I ignored the creepiness. I asked for a non-smoking room, paid my fee and headed to my room. It was close to 11:00 now and I was tired.

I pulled up to my door and winced when I saw it was next door to a shirtless man standing outside his room smoking. (Let me pause here to explain that cigarette smoke is a HUGE trigger for my migraines and that is why I point it out. I want my readers to understand it is the smoke and not the smoker I dislike. There, we can continue). GREAT!!! I'd already taken a headache pill earlier and the last thing I needed was a scent to nauseate me. The creepy, middle aged shirtless man eyed me and smiled at me while I was in my car. I instantly looked down and pretended to search for something. I'm certain my survival instincts were kicking in. I stayed busy in my car waiting for him to finish his smoke, hoping he'd go inside. He didn't.

DANG IT!!!

I decided I had to dash to my door and get inside. I psyched myself up, popped the trunk, quickly got out of my car and he said, "Hi". I made no eye contact and grabbed my suitcase, said "hi" back and darted for my door. "How are ya doin tonight"? I'm sure he eyed me greedily but I didn't look. I responded "fine" and shut the door behind me. Thank goodness, I made it. I dead bolted the door and considered moving the table in front of it.But I didn't, I was distracted when I viewed my room.

Instantly I felt I needed to shower. The room was disgusting. I'll spare you the detailed description I originally penned. I was terrified to sleep in the bed, but I was SO TIRED!! I wanted to escape, but I was SO TIRED!! I decided try to unwind a bit by writing. I hoped it would help clear my mind and I'd make a good decision. I went to my car to get a pen and accidentally left the room key inside.

BAAAAAA!!!

At least my neighbor had gone inside. I had no choice but to head to the office in my pajamas. I shuffled to the creepy office with my arms folded over my chest to cover my womanhoods. It was just my luck to get locked out of my room in a haunted hotel without my bra, and wearing a white t-shirt.

The desk clerk made what he thought were funny comments about me being a woman and a blonde. (Red hair = blonde with a temper.) I endured because I desperately wanted to get back to the safety, comfort and security of my bra. He had the key to my room. It was no time to let my temper flair. I calmed myself and reminded myself, he had the key.

Once that was over I settled back into my room to start writing and then I saw it. A bug scurried across the sheet next to me. The freezing panic lasted a second and I recognized it as a tick. My survival instincts kicked in again and I stabbed at it with my pen. I packed EVERYTHING. When I returned to the office the clerk looked up at me and said, "Don't tell me you locked yourself out AGAIN!" I flatly responded, " No, there was a tick in my bed. May I please get a refund?" He kindly reversed the charge on my credit card and I speed off to find another hotel.

By the time I settled in to bed it was half past Midnight and I was SO TIRED!! Mind you, I'd been up since 4:30 a.m. and I had good reason to be exhausted. I quickly fell asleep only to be awake an hour later with a stomach bug. WHAT?!?!?! Are you kidding me? A stomach bug? I needed medicine, so at 2:00 a.m. I set off to find some miracle medicine to ease my trembling discomfort. I had to travel several miles down the road to find a 24 hour truck stop to get what I needed. I consider "several miles" a HUGE blessing due to me being somewhere between "Who Knows Where" NM and "Last Chance For Cell Phone Reception" AZ.

With Maalox in hand and sleep on my mind, I got back to my hotel and my key didn't work in the door! ARGGGGHH! No way! I can't believe it. I tried buzzing the hotel clerk a dozen times without any luck. Stooopid sleeping hotel clerk! I was at wits end. I said a desperate prayer and tried the key again. It worked. Hallelujah!

Once I returned to my bed I lay there trying to figure out what is wrong with my luck and then it dawned on me. I'M A MURPHY!! It doesn't matter that I changed my name with marriage. I will always be a Murphy and the Law applies.

Needless to say, my return trip to TX wasn't the one of peace and rest I'd imagined. Instead I hardly slept at all.

3 comments:

orangemily said...

Terrible!!
I'm surprised O still isn't sleeping through the night. I can't remember if I ever reccomended the book Babywise to you (I tell everyone to read it, Kella has been sleeping 10 hours through the night since 3 months old).
You definitely deserve some R&R!

Rachel said...

Wow, and I thought my traveling troubles were annoying! :) Thanks for the laughs, but I'm not laughing AT you, if that helps... :) xoxo

Mariam said...

I feel guilt for laughing so hard. You are too funny. Your writing is great, I felt like I could see the creepy shirtless man, and I could smell the nasty hotel room. Better Luck next time.