Thursday, April 23, 2009

Anniversaries

For the past 4 years LT and I have only been together for 3 of our anniversaries. 

In 2006, he was on a ship and I was becoming scuba certified in Thailand. I know that sounds like quite a hardship, but at the time, and considering the circumstances, it wasn't easy being apart. 

In 2007, the one year he was in town, he was in charge of a ridiculous retirement party for a reservist. He was required to attend a dinner the night of our anniversary . The Navy, or maybe just his command, had activities called "Mandatory Fun" and more often than not, they were just an annoyance. He was sweet enough to bring home a little something for me from the dinner. I was touched he thought of me and I was excited to see what he brought. I admit, I was disappointed, okay, shocked by what was in the container. I affectionately refer to it as the "anniversary autopsy dinner". It was a stuffed green pepper that had been battered and fried. I didn't know it was a green pepper, until I carefully removed the superficial layers and found it. It looked like a heart. A funny thing about that is, LT didn't even know what he'd ordered. He said it just sounded cool and he was told it was good.

In 2008, he was on a submarine. When he is on a sub, we usually get to email back and forth, but for some strange reason, this captain wouldn't let anyone send email. So, I emailed him, but he couldn't respond. 

So, here we are, in 2009. He is there, I am here and this is a familiar situation. We've considered the possibility of me visiting him in Djibouti, but the cost of flying me there is the equivalent of tuition at a junior college. We decided against it. I did, however, find a far more affordable "vacation", for me. I mentioned it to him and he told me to go for it. Isn't he GREAT?

Now, you get to guess where I'm going. A friend of mine was kind enough to let me borrow some of her pictures. 




Any guesses?

4 comments:

orangemily said...

I don't know, Bahamas?
It looks beautiful!

Nichole said...

mexico

Rachel said...

Bahamas!! Bahamas!! I wanna come! I wanna come! John and Eva look soo cute and WARM! Have fun!!

The Doctors Wife said...

I want to come. I'm so jealous. Happy aniversary by the way.