Monday, August 16, 2010

Boundaries

For months, I've been thinking a lot about boundaries.

Why they exist and why we create them. On a soccer field, there are boundaries. Boundaries of where the ball can be played, where a player can stand and when a goal is made.

I know in some cases they are pliable and in others they are unyielding. Sometimes yes means maybe and other times no means no.

I know they can change over time. For years green peppers were evil and now I occasionally choose to eat them.

I create them to be safe. Safe from some others and safe from some consequences. I avoid people who are cruel. I wear my seatbelt to be safe.

What boundaries are healthy? I think it is healthy to examine boundaries to access their necessity. Life changes, people change. We grow and stretch and learn.

What do you think?

No comments: