Sunday, January 22, 2012

Life with O

While listening to Coldplay,
Me - Hey, this guy who is singing has a daughter and her name is Apple.
O - *giggle giggle* Does she have a brother named bumble bee? *giggle giggle*

We were on our way home from a long errand. O was talking to her daddy on the phone and out of nowhere she says, "Hey, will you please do me a favor? Will you cook dinner for me?"

Last night O lost a tooth. She's been working on this one for a while. We were driving home from a basketball game and since there really isn't much for a 5 year old to do in the back seat of a car, she went to work on the tooth. At bedtime she said she wanted to put herself to bed. We were THRILLED she wanted to do it, and at the same time a bit suspicious. We were hoping she really was going to go to sleep, but 10 minutes later she came out of her room with a bloody tooth in her hand. We, of course, did all of the fun stuff and celebrated with her and took pictures. She told me I needed to text the tooth fairy. It was late and she didn't want the fairy to pass her by. I sent a text to one of my friends, she texted back and I was able to tell O the tooth fairy would be by that night. We have a little pink box we got from the dentist when they took her first tooth. We cleaned up the tooth, put it in the box and put it under her pillow. I tried to talk her into putting it in the little cubby at the top of her bed, but she was determined it had to be under the pillow. She was so jazzed about her tooth that it took a little while for her to settle down and go to sleep.

Fortunately we remembered to do the tooth fairy thing before we went to bed. However, I encountered a slight problem when trying to make the swap. When I put my hand under her pillow, I couldn't find the box. WHAT?!?!? Did she hide it somewhere? She's a sneaky thing like that, I think she gets it from her dad, but that is besides the point. She was lying on her stomach, head to one side and BOTH of her hands were under the pillow. I tried to lift the pillow and she moved her head. I tried to slip my hand in on either side and she moved her head. Each time I tried, she rolled over and grunted or something. I was terrified I would wake her up and ruin the fun or traumatize her for life. I mean, who can sleep soundly when you wake up and find someone hovering over you in the middle of the night? How do you recover from that? Anyway, I gave up and went back to my room.

This morning she ran into our room elated that the fairy gave her "tons" of money AND let her keep her tooth. Now, here's a small confession about the "tons" of money. We took a bunch of coins out of her piggy bank and used them for the tooth fairy money. Is that wrong?

Our adventure may continue tonight. O has been working like mad on another tooth that LT and I didn't even know was loose. It may or may not make it tonight.

One other thing, last night I sprinkled glitter on our sidewalk and driveway and this morning when we left the house I pointed it out to O. We told her it was fairy dust. She said, "I'm flying, wait, no I'm not". Funny kid. Anyway, that prompted a lot of questions about how the fairy gets into our house. Tonight O wants to set a "sticky trap" to catch the fairy. I asked her what she would do with the fairy and she said, "I would ask her, How do you get into houses? " And then she would keep her for 5 more days.

O the joy. She is so much fun.

1 comment:

lollisa said...

Tooth fairy troubles--so know the pain of trying to find the silly tooth. Good job. We've missed several nights in a row and have had to come up with some crazy stories. The glitter was a nice touch! What a cutie O is!