Saturday, April 23, 2011

Green Monkeys in Japan

What do green monkeys in Japan and preschool graduation have in common???

You guessed it. OLIVIA!!!

O "graduated" from preschool on the 15th, but not really because she will be going there again next year. So this year was just for practice.

O went to the Nichols Bethel United Methodist preschool here in Odenton. I love, love, LOVE the program. The teachers couldn't be any better. O had a great time being there, she looked forward to going, she learned a lot and made a lot of fun friends. I loved that she received a Christian based education too.

There are some differences between Mormon culture and Methodist culture and I got a kick out of some of the differences. The songs O learned aren't the type you would hear in Primary, and they caught me off guard. For example, one day she busted out in a familiar tune, but with different lyrics. Instead of singing, "There was a farmer, had a dog and Bingo was his name-o. B-I-N-G-O" She sang, "There is a man who lives in me and Jesus is his name-o. J-E-S-U-S". I laughed and laughed and laughed and told her she was a wonderful singer. She had no idea I was just not sure how to respond to it. Songs we sing about Jesus tend to be a bit more reverent. Either way, I thought it was great. (I'll post the video of it in the next post.)

The other week we were at the doctors office to get shots. I asked O if she would hold my hand when I got mine and she told me, "If you're afraid, God will give you courage". I love that God is apart of her conversation. She thinks about how He works and what He has created and how He has asked us to treat people. I'm happy to send her there next year.

The church where she goes to school is being renovated and the construction crew is ahead of schedule. So, school had to end a month early. I'm so sad this preschool ended a month early. O doesn't know the difference but I sure do. The three afternoons a week I had for errands, appointments and other stuff is no longer available. At least we still have our little co-op until June to keep us busy. But, enough about that, I need to tell you about her graduation.

It lasted about 15 -20 minutes. That is as long as the kids could stand/sit still. The ceremony was held in the worship hall and the kids entered through the back of the room in a procession to the front. There were lots of stops and starts, waves, smiles and pictures. Once up front the "graduates" led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and sang a bunch of songs. The teachers then gave out awards, we took pictures and then everyone had cake. It was perfect, nice, short and sweet. Oh, and by the way, my camera totally sucks. Sorry about the poor quality.

Blowing a kiss

Thoughtful pose

Posing for the camera after her name is called.

Her wonderful teachers

Her good friend J. He was NOT in the mood for pictures, AT ALL.

O and J enjoying post ceremony treats.
Green Monkeys in Japan


A very enthusiastic Pledge of Allegiance

No comments: