Monday, April 23, 2012

I made my peace with TX.

As I flew in to the San Antonio airport, I had a feeling of dread. I felt a little deflated too. The 4 years I spent in TX was rough and I wasn't excited to visit the place of so many struggles. The first two days I had thoughts that burdened me. I thought of the migraines and ER visits. I thought of the loneliness. I thought of the desperation. I thought of the sickness. It was yucky. And then at the end of a lunch date with some friends, those thoughts started to dispel.

I slowly pushed away the negative with the positive. The silver lining and goodness that was hard to detect when I lived there reminded me, it had always been there.

N- One of the very first people I met before I even moved to SA was, as usual, incredibly generous. She offered me a place to stay. I ended up staying at our house though, her family was stricken with a miserable stomach bug. She did, however, offer to let me use a bazillon of her tools. Seeing her reminded me of her kindness. In the course of 4 years, I spent at least one major holiday with her family, Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years. I'm glad I know her.

A- hosted at lunch for me at her house. I remembered her kindness when she drove me to the airport one Christmas. She got rear ended on the way. I was, of course, panicked. What she did has remained with me ever since. She got out of the car and the girl who rear ended us was crying. Instead of being upset, A gave her a hug to comfort her. I carry that image in my heart. I was a very powerful moment.

There were people I didn't get to see that were a large blessings to me while I was there. One couple who took me in and loved me dearly had moved away. My roommate, who was an answer to prayers had also moved away. A dear friend who supported me and comforted me and taught me, lives elsewhere.

I learned a lot about myself while I lived in SA. I learned about my health, my body, my desires, my marriage and my faith in God. I am a better person because of it. It has taken time to heal from what happened while I was there. But I am now able to see the blessings that were with me.

I made peace there and I won't mind going back.

Before I end this post, I need to share a list. I had a long list of things to accomplish in a short amount of time. I'm going to post it here, just because it feels good to see all that I did. Yay me and yay for lists.

Purchased touch up paint for all of the rooms. 
Touched up the paint in all of the rooms.
Power washed the driveway, sidewalk to the front door, door step and the back patio.
Filled a joint between the front sidewalk and the house.
Tested the sprinkler system.
Pruned the trees.
Stained the fence.
Cleaned the dryer vent.
Placed fill dirt by the fence and patio. (I hauled over 500 lbs, thank you very much)
Removed the fridge.
And, I made at least a dozen trips to each Home Depot and Lowes. People started to recognize me. "Hey, how did that paint work out?"

I got to reward myself with a dinner at Rudy's. Simply the best BBQ in TX. 



2 comments:

Jadi said...

I always enjoy reading your blog. I am glad the trip to Texas ended up being a good one. You always inspire me. You are such a good person. I miss you!!

Kelly said...

I was lucky to meet you too! People are brought together for a reason. I'm glad ours was O. She is a precious, precocious girl!

I'm a little late reading this :)

K