Thursday, February 6, 2014

I make children cry

I am a bad person. A friend's daughter was telling me all about the things she wanted for her birthday. I asked when her birthday was and she said May. I told her May was cancelled this year and she ran away crying. Oops! At least her mom was there and knew what I was doing and explained I was teasing her.

LT and I are going on a vacation! I can't believe he agreed to it. We'll be in beautiful Nassau to celebrate our 13th anniversary. (I think it's our 13th, neither us keep track). I went to Nassau when he was Djibouti and said I would take him there. Also, we made a deal when we were first married that if I became scuba certified, he would rock climb. Well, I certified when I was in Thailand, and I've been a time or two since then and so has he, but we've never gone together.

O and I went to our annual Navy Womens basketball game. This is our 3rd year doing it and this time O was old enough to be interested in what was going on for most of the game. We were sitting near a group of tweens and they were trying to get on camera and trying to get the cheerleaders to throw stuff at them. Since O saw them, she joined in. Hooray! We didn't know it before we went to the game but it was Girl Scouts night and during half time the scouts when down on the court to be recognized. O was thrilled to go down. She also received a patch.

We lost by one point, it was a good game.

That's our team


The patch


O is the very last one on the left. She is wearing a blue shirt with writing on the chest. 



Migraines
My latest appointment at Johns Hopkins was for nerve block shots. It wasn't successful, so the next step is a 3 to 5 day inpatient treatment that has helped other people. I have to decide when to do it.

On another note, I LOVE my neurologist. He actually reviews my chart BEFORE he meets with me. It is so nice to start where we left off instead of having to start over. In fact, the very first time we met he greeted me with "You have a photogenic brain". He looked at my MRI and MRE prior to coming into the room!

I have to mention the nerve block shots. Before the shots Dr. R went on and on about how uncomfortable they would be. He said if I wanted to stop at any time we could and it was okay. It freaked me out a little bit. So, the first shot was uncomfortable, it hurt, but the more unsettling part was hearing the pops as he went through the muscles and scraped my skull. Once we were done, he commented about my ability to take the shots without really complaining. The cool part of the procedure was the feeling of numbness on my head. I kept petting it and leaning on the back of a chair. It was crazy. I was at a friend's house, but that didn't stop me.

Favorite Quotes
"Come on over, I'll put my pants on", Breast friend. To put it into context, she's a firm believer that, "home is where the pants aren't".

"I was expecting more to be there" S after I sat on her lap and squeezed her head into my chest.

DBSA
Sweet M held my hand while she was talking about something hard. It was such a privilege to share that place with her.

We finally have a home and a regular schedule. We've waited nearly a year for this to happen. Starting in March we will meet the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month at Severn Christian Church on New Cut Road. I look forward to growing our little group and offering support to more people.

On the Nightstand
The Fairy Chronicles, Marigold and the Feather of Hope, the Journey begins J. H. Sweet
It is a really cute book and I think O will like the series.

I'm still reading the tween book and now I feel like a HORRIBLE mom. ha ha ha, I have so much to learn. Really, it's a good book and I'm getting a lot out of it and I'm sure I'll get more.

Girls Cramp
I'm getting excited to be involved on the ward level again. I've got, without a doubt, a great group of girls. We've already got some fun pranks planned. I can't wait.

I've been so blessed to be involved with this program year after year.




1 comment:

Abby said...

You can pat your numbskull at my house any time you like. It was highly amusing.