Sunday, May 25, 2014

Savages!!!

The Savage Race is, by far, the best obstacle race I've done.  We did it last summer and I fell in love. The only obstacle/mud race I'd done was the Run For Your Lives, zombie race. I had a blast on that one, but the Savage Race opened my eyes to a whole new kind of obstacle fun. I did the RFYL race last fall and it was boring compared to the SR. I found out they are doing the SR again in October. Who wants to come with me?

Here is our crew at the beginning of the race. 


The start


Veronika posing with other kilt wearers. 
I think the guy on her right looks like a young Daniel Craig. 
V was one happy girl. 


The first obstacle, Prairie Dog. 


You can kind of see how slick and muddy it is.


V - "Here, you need mud on your boobs."
Me - "Okay."
V - squish, squish, squeeze. 
The mud was no good. It didn't make a mark, but it did make for a funny picture.


Boob Talk
It didn't even occur to me that V squished and squeezed my boobs. Twice. Truly, it didn't even cross my mind that she was touching my boobs. It wasn't a perverted or creepy thing. Part way through the race, after the handprints were covered up with mud, I mentioned the molesting. She laughed and said she didn't think of it either. If anyone else had tried to do that to me, they wouldn't have gotten very far. Ha ha ha.



THE SHRIVELED RICHARD!!!
(The names of the obstacles are horrible)
This is a huge container filled with ice water. You have to jump in, swim under a board, and get out. The board is deep so you have to get completely wet. I learned my lesson about this one last year. So, this time, I jumped in and swam under the board right away and I only had to go underwater once. I could do that because our group were the only ones there. Our wave was far, far ahead of us. Usually, you have a group of people in front of you and you have to wait, in the ice bath, for them to get under the board. I actually panicked last year and almost ran/swam/crawled over Sarah to get out. I've only ever felt panic like that twice in my life. No bueno. Needless to say, this year's experience, although painful, was MUCH better than last year.


Getting ice ready for the next round of runners.


I was numb and I'd only been in the water for seconds.


V post Richard.


I was doing really well, until I got to the middle of the board. It was really wiggly in the middle.


V found mud that worked. 


Her caption for this picture is,
"Yeah baby! Ya' feel  me?"


This is right before V grabbed my butt. 
The guy in the gray tank top behind us in the 
picture said, "I saw that" as he ran by.


This is our reaction to his comment.


MY CAMERA IS BROKEN!!!


Oh, wait, no it's not. There was just mud on the screen.


I nailed it on the first try! Last year, I had to do it a few times before I figured out the trick.
This is also where I re-injured my hamstring.


Oh, ya know, just hangin' out in the mud.


REMATCH!!
This year, I didn't go in the water and V didn't kick me off of my rungs.


Cargo net, schmargo net.


This obstacle is not kind to shorties. 


Race euphoria 


This one was a new one for me. 
The Colon Blow 5000





Derek and Laura enter.


This is the inside. Mine was MUCH slipperier.


Derek giving the thumbs up.


Patty on the inside between the in and out tubes.


Ya, it was dark.


The down spout.


V heading down.


V making contact with the water.


Success!!


This one was hard for me because I was tall enough that I couldn't crawl so I had to do and awkward army crawl. It was really slick so I kept getting stuck and sliding backwards.


Laura and Pipe Dream.


Laura meeting the water.


Ya, I don't know what we're doing.


Some people jump over the walls, like this.


L goes over the wall like this.


V is MUD-E


P is so happy


L, not so much


 The mud crawl from last year was my favorite part and I was REALLY looking forward to it this year. BUT, the crawl they set up on this course was really, really poor. Chalmer and I did the mud crawl in the thickest and heaviest mud.  You can see our trail behind us. It is a really good workout because that stuff is HEAVY and it isn't easy to move in.  When I was done I had, at the least, a half-inch layer of mud on my front side. It added 10 or 15 pounds to my body. I felt like I was going to fall forward.



We waded through a small pond, I washed a lot of the mud off, 
and had to work our way up a hill on wet plastic.


Here is a map of our course and obstacles. If you click on it to make it larger, you can read the names.



If my migraines get under control, I can start exercising again. If I can start exercising again I can be in better shape. And if I am in better shape, I can tackle the Colossus at the end.




No comments: