Sunday, May 4, 2014

Too much sap makes me sick

LT and I have been married for 13 years now…….. and we’ve survived.

How did we get together?

I'm not quite sure, but we were just drawn to each other. I always say, "The geek in me called out to the geek in him, and we got together." Our first date was HORRIBLE. We actually fought all night. He says it was his second worst first date he's ever had. On his first worst first date the girl brought another guy. We didn’t go on another date for awhile. I was in a causal relationship with another guy and was sad when I broke it off, we weren’t right for each other. Before I met LT, I'd just come out of a LONG relationship and the break up was really bad. I was ready to be single for the rest of my life. I was DONE. So, I dated just for fun. I was not looking for a relationship. And then, along came LT. When he asked me to marry him, I told him I had to check with my lawyer first and threw a snowball at him. (I'm a closet romantic, but I can't handle a lot of sap.)

A Brief History of Us

Me - After my break up a co-worker gave me a plant and said I needed to nurture something. It died after a month. I dated for fun. One guy called me his red-headed pixie-faced yum-yum and I called him my big dumb aminal . I was sad when we stopped seeing each other. And, then there was LT. He wasn't the stereotypical guy I'd date either, but hey, I was having fun. Even though we fought the entire time on our first date, we just kept coming back to each other. We are so opposite. I was frightened as I started to get to know him because I could see we were such a good fit, and I got mad about it. I only wanted to date for fun, I didn't want a relationship, but there he was, a guy I could fall for. DANG IT!! Stupid, illogical love!

LT - He'd had a serious relationship that didn't work out. He was engaged to another girl that didn't work out. He went to grad school and after his first semester came out of his post-break up funk. He lived in Nebraska, I still can't figure that one out, and was lonely. Then met a girl and moved back to SLC and that didn't work out. Then, he met me. He was interested in me the very first time he saw me, he likes red hair. He heard me talking in a group and wanted to get to know me.

Together

LT is the book smart one, I'm the funny one. He loves engineering and how things work. I love the body, and figuring out how people work. When we were newlyweds he had The History of Numbers and A New Kind of Science on his nightstand. I had Ethical Ambition and The Secret Life of Bees. Things haven't changed much, he has The Economist and a history book on his nightstand and I have Talking to Tweens and The Hero of Ages on mine. He likes math, I like music. He is logical, I am emotional. He is patient, I am not. He is more introverted than I am. I am the roller coaster, he is the ferris wheel. He is a workaholic and I think work is a necessary evil and I'd rather play. He is the ant, I am the grasshopper. He likes to save, I like to spend. He puts things away, I make piles (because if I can't see it, I'll forget about it.)  He focuses, I'm selectively focused, but, I get distracted. He's disciplined, I get distracted. He follows through, I do too, and I get distracted. When he goes shopping, he's in and out, I get distracted. Even with our differences, our core values align perfectly. We swim in the same deep waters and that is where we really connect. My relationship with him teaches me more about the nature of God and how He loves us.

The song "Anchor" by Mindy Gledhill captures our relationship. 


He is my anchor and I couldn't love him more for it. We've had heartbreaks, we've had serious relationship troubles and thought about calling it quits and…. we are together. We are committed to each other and loyal and in love.

Once again, how did we get together? I don't really know. We are very opposite, and yet it works. We drive each other crazy and get annoyed (I've never been so adored and annoyed by someone) and then.. we are drawn back to each other. I love him in a way I didn't know love was meant to be. In all that he is, he is my other half.

I couldn't ask for a better friend, companion and partner in crime.

Happy 13, my love.

1 comment:

Sari said...

Gaaahh, I wanna barf now lol