Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Work/Play

Play - Fieldwork 1

I'm glad I made the choice to volunteer in O's classroom once a week. I've really had a lot of fun getting to know the wee ones and the first grade teaching team. There are only a few more weeks until this school year is over and my volunteering time with the 1st grade will come to an end. I'll miss the weekly interactions I have with them.  Fortunately, there are three "fieldwork" trips, (which is the schools fancy way of saying field trip) at the end of the year. We've already been on two.

On our first trip, O sat with her friends on the bus, which is great. I thought I was going to have a seat to myself, so it was a surprise when a sweet wee one sat down right next to me. He told me we were going to play a game called, "would you rather." It took me a while to engage because I'd only had 5 hours of sleep. I'd been up late with my breastie the night before. We had an interesting conversation and at one point he told me, "When I was in Alaska, I saw a saber-toothed squirrel." HA HA HA.  

The lady sitting next to me was playing on her iPad so I pointed it out to him and he started watching it. He didn't sit correctly so the bus driver had him sit by the window, and I wasn't in the mood to talk, so I gave him my phone and let him play Angry Birds. 

On the way home, I was totally into playing his game. He asked if I would rather have a super power or.... We went to some really strange places with the game. I asked if he would rather not be able to talk for the rest of his life, or have no arms. He said his sister says he talks too much so he would rather not have a voice. He wanted his arms so he could eat. He asked me if I would rather lick a dead toe or not have arms and legs. I said I would lick a dead toe. EW, I said it would be over with quickly but if I didn't have arms and legs, that would be forever. He said, well, what if it was 5 dead toes. ha ha ha. I told him I had awesome arms and I wanted to keep them, then I flexed for him, "See? Hard as a rock."  

Then he went on to tell me, "I'm going to get ripped," flexes arms, "I eat apples to get healthy and ripped. Brother acts like a monkey from outer space when he eats a banana." I told him about my brother-in-law who is a body builder and he is totally ripped, He asked if he had big muscles. I told him they were huge. Then he told me that leg lifts will make your butt ripped. He even flexed for me. I could help laughing, it was awesome. 

The next time I saw him in class, he gave me a hug. Aw, what a sweet guy. 


Here is my BIL. He is actually much bigger now. 



Work
The last time I worked I was assigned to assist two boys with autism. It wasn't a bad gig. I got to help build a double helix with kinecks, I reviewed my rusty spanish, and called the teacher by her daughters name. I was on lunch duty for the 7th grade class. I got to keep score for a handball game in PE class. AND, I was in math class and it wasn't frightening. We talked about rhombuses and angles, I was totally on top of it. 

I don't know what it is about the Humanities class in the middle school that catches me off guard. This time, the class was watching a video about the westward expansion. There were some hunting scenes that were quite comical, UNTIL it showed a guy being mauled by a grizzly bear. WHAT?!?!? Blood and gore? I, along with others, gasped and I had to look away.

Boob Talk
Here is the fallout from the self testicle exam picture. O has been trying to figure out how guys have different plumbing than girls. 
O - "It's like a straw. It's like squirting water out of it."
LT - "Yes, it is."
O - "It's ugly.
LT - "Yes it is. I see it everyday."

Me - "nubbies, nubbies, nubbies."
O - "I don't have nubbies." Thinking, "I have pecs." Thinking again, "No, I have small polka dots. Mom has great big polka dots."

Based on O's comments, you would think I walk around topless all of the time, but it is not so. Aside from the trampoline the other week, I keep my toplessness confined to my bedroom and bathroom. :)

No comments: