Monday, February 9, 2009

Silver Clouds

It finally hit home. The weeks of having Leighton an email, phone call or Skype visit away have ended, and this weekend, I felt the looming funk. Even though he'd been back east for training since September, he was only one time zone away and getting in touch with him was EASY!! It didn't really feel like he was "gone".

Now that he is in Djibouti and I am here, and our times are near polar opposite, I feel his absence. We no longer have our afternoon and after bath time phone calls. We no longer have the luxury of quick email correspondence. The bandwidth on base doesn't allow efficient access to his personal email account. We have been fortunate enough to speak on the phone and see him on the webcam twice, yet, I am aware the convenience is gone. Either he gets up at an obscene hour, which was easy for him due to his jet lag, or I have to get up at an obscene hour, which is not unusual considering Os need for little sleep.

The point is, I miss him and he is miles away.

Realistically, the possibility of a "storm" exists, yet It is times like this I reflect upon the path of life we tread. Although, this isn't the path I ever thought we would walk, I've come to view it as a gift and a blessing. Given the current global financial crisis, I don't have to worry about my husband being laid off.

That is a blessing.

It is also a blessing that he is not in a combat zone. The most life threatening things are diseases that could be contracted by bugs or animal bites. I have peace knowing my husband is safe.

Another is, I have access to the medical professionals that can help me with my severe migraines and such. I honestly don't know how we could have afforded to receive the help I'm receiving or the multiple ER visits if LT were not in the military.

And finally, I've had to step out of my comfort zone and dig deep within to find the strength and abilities required to make it through a year without my friend, companion, confidant and love. The collective experiences of the past three years have drawn me closer to my maker. I feel a greater appreciation for the luxuries I enjoy. I can say "my cup runneth over".

Even though there will be rocky times and a storm may be looming, and I feel the burden more acutely than before, I see the hand of God in my life and I am at peace.

3 comments:

orangemily said...

I don't know how you do it! I really admire you.

Nichole said...

Thank you for sacrificing so your hubby can be a warrior for me and my family. We pray for the soldiers and their families every day. God bless you!

Tammy VanDam said...

Thanks for sharing your faith, Miss Duckie. You are amazing! I'm sending a prayer and some happy thoughts your way. Hang in there!