Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am surrounded by idiots!!

I need to get this off my chest. 

Texas has crappy massage therapists. Seriously, they suck.

The State only recently increased their schooling requirements to 500 hours for graduation. I've only had 3 massages since I've been here and ALL of them, including the one I just received, have been pathetic. Anyone, ANYONE could have done what I just received. I asked the therapist to do friction around the attachments and lots of petrissage in the belly of the muscle. NOT HARD AT ALL. 

I'm dying here. All of the therapists I've met up with are clueless about modalities other than swedish massage. I need some good injury/Trigger point work done on my right shoulder. Any therapist I worked with in UT could easily do it. After my session I chatted with the lead therapist at the clinic and he didn't even know there was such a thing as a National Certificate. He didn't believe me when I told him I was Nationally Certified. He told me there was no such thing. What a moron! 

I'm not really a massage snob, but I totally feel like I'm surrounded by massage idiots. When I visit family/friends this summer, I'm going to budget for a couple of sessions with competent therapists.

Well, now you've heard some of my frustrations, have you ever had a bad massage experience?

4 comments:

orangemily said...

My most recent and only massage ever, unintentionally put me in to labor with Kella. At least I was very relaxed!

Nichole said...

there was this one time at band camp with sven...

Nichole said...

did you try to leave a comment yet?

Abbie Nelson said...

I have right shoulder issues myself...I survive with Matt rubbing it every night...but while he's super strong, (which I LOVE) he lacks finesse. :)
I once went in and had a massage...they might as well have just put lotion on my back for all the muscle they dealt with.
Most can't do it hard enough for me. Although there was this old lady that worked at the old Deseret Gym. She was AMAZING. By the time she was done with me, I was mush.