Saturday, March 22, 2014

Another one down


I spent time with Baby William recently and I felt like I was cheating on Sweet Baby Alice. 

O was holding Sweet Baby Alice and I told her, "You are so good at this, you're a natural". She asked why and I said it's because she's a baby whisperer. After that, she looked at Alice and Alice smiled back. O told me, "I just looked at her and told her to smile". She was so proud of her baby whispering skills.

O Speaks
I'm going to write a book called When My Life Was Cool and the first chapter will be "What Is Not Cool". And, I'm going to be really, really famous and people will want me to sign their copy.

No kablamo = No problemo

O was out of school for a few days because she'd had a fever.
M - "Do you miss being at school"?
O - "No".
M - "Really, why"?
O - "Because Liam K picks his nose, puts his hands in his mouth and puts his hands on the carpet." 

"You're the nicest mom in the world. I imagine you helping the crickets crick".

LT - "It's okay, I have pretty thick skin".
O - runs over and pinches his wrist, and confused says, "Daddy, you don't have thick skin".

On The Nightstand
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. SPOILER ALERT!!
I finished it and it was good. It felt a bit slow but it IS a trilogy, so the author can take time for character development. However, one thing that really impressed me was, a main character was killed at the end of the book. I think the sign of a skilled writer is their ability to create a character that plays a huge part of the story and is able to kill them and the story continues and is just as good. J.K. Rowling could do that and Stephanie Meyer couldn't.... hum... 

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
It looks promising and I think it will be a quick read. I LOVED The Secret Life of Bees. I read it twice, which is saying something. Her follow up novel, The Mermaid Chair,  was HORRIBLE!!
SPOILER: It was the same story plot/formula, but with different names and a slightly different story. The main character had the same issue, there was a childhood accident and they thought it was their fault. There was a character with special needs. Plus, I wasn't keen on the adulterous relationship between a Monk and the main character. They were using each other to deal with crap from their past. I can't say enough about how horrible it was. BUT, the description for this new book looks promising and it doesn't look to be the same story being told a third time.

LT talked me into "letting" him read Divergent while I finish up the Mistborn series. I hope he reads fast.

Work
Well, I had quite the day not too long ago. I was all over the place, it was fun. Originally, I was told I was going to be at school all day covering for someone in either 3rd or 4th grade. When I arrived, I was told I was filling in for the 7th grade TA for the morning. I thought, "Middle school, cool". 

The first class was a MATH class. BAHHHHH!! NO!! Whenever LT starts talking about math, my eyes glaze over the same way his eyes do when I talk about music. I was not feeling so confident. Mr. T had me go from group to group and ask them about their thinking process and how they came to their conclusions. It was not bad at all. 
In Humanities, the class watched a cartoon version of A Midsummers Night's Dream. I accidentally laughed out loud, my actual, laugh out loud laugh. Oops. It was hard, so hard, to keep from giggling, the cartoon really caught me off guard a time or two. 
The last class I had was a keyboarding class and I was in charge of it, meaning, I was the "teacher". Ms B. left instructions for them to do work on a website to practice. Most of them did, some of them didn't. I had to make a point of telling them that Flappy Birds did not count as keyboarding practice. 

After lunch I was sent to help in 1st grade, but I couldn't find the teacher. I don't know where she went, but I had a nice walk around the building looking for her. After no success, I settled in Ms. Js class and did some stuff for her. I really like the 1st grade teachers. I finished up the day in a 3rd grade class.

I don't know if I'll get hired there for next year. I know I would like to, however, it all depends on who is staying and who is going. I think would be an effective TA with the younger age groups. I know I would be a good fit for 1st or 2nd grade, and maybe Kindergarten. 3rd grade was okay, but I didn't like it as much as I liked Kindergarten and 1st grade. 2nd could be fun because I would know what O was learning.  Oh well, I'll just wait and see.

No comments: