Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Holding


This picture moves me.

I stole it from some random site I stumbled upon ages ago. I didn't save the name so I can't give the picture it's due credit and I can't visit it again to read the story. But, I had to have it.

It calls to mind memories of my Dad and his heart surgeries. Of Marianne and her mastectomy, labor and death. A and her husband. M and his new life. H and her illness.

I made up a story to go with it.

That is my hand holding the others. Offering comfort and being present. I feel this for my friends/family when they ache, when they feel all alone, when they are uncertain. I want to just be with them and support them. I want them to know we are in it together because I love them.

2 comments:

Mariam said...

You are one of the most empathetic people I know, and I think that is amazing.

Empathy is one of the most important qualities I want to instill in my kids. Teaching empathy can be hard to do though (having natural empathy like you is much better). Funny thing though, it has occurred to me that I am trying to teach my kids to have a quality that will with out question, cause them pain later in life.

What do you think?

Miss M said...

Aw, Mariam, that means a lot coming from you because my memories of you are of an empathetic person. (or maybe it was just a pathetic person. ha ha ha, I'm so mean. You KNOW I don't mean it.)

First, you crack me up. I love how you think. Now, to answer your question. OF COURSE!! Teach them empathy, pain that comes with love stretches your soul and enriches your life.